Earn while you learn!
Operating Engineers Local 234 Apprenticeship & Training Program
An apprenticeship program with the Operating Engineers Local 234 program will provide you with free career training as an operating engineer jointly funded by a labor/management training trust.
Operating Engineers work as heavy equipment operators and mechanics in the construction industry. "Heavy Equipment"describes many types of machines used on a construction site, including cranes, bulldozers, graders, front-end loaders,and paving equipment.
Operating Engineers are masters of a variety of equipment. A broad range of skills keeps IUOE members employable,since employers' needs vary from project to project.
What do I need to become an Operating Engineer?
- Three years of apprentice training, including on-the-job, field, and classroom training.
- A good work ethic and, since you will be working on expensive and potentially dangerous equipment, a responsible attitude.
- An interest in working outdoors.
- The ability to work construction hours. If you have children this makes reliable and flexible child-care essential.
- A willingness to be out of work during seasonal down-time.
- The ability to work for many different employers during your career.
- Reliable transportation.
Operating Engineers Local 234 operates a Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training approved program on a two hundred and eightyacre site southeast of Indianola, Iowa. At the training site, classroom and hands-on training is provided to apprentices andjourneyman operators.
Apprentices participate in a three-year (6,000 hrs.) program of training -- consisting of 192 hours of correspondent training,240 hours of classroom instruction, and the balance in on-the-job hands on training.
Entrance into the Apprenticeship Program requires completion of forty hours of pre-apprenticeship training at the training facility.
If you are interested in more information or are interested in applying for entrance into the program, call or write to us at:
Iowa Operating Engineers
16299 Quebec Street
Indianola, Iowa 50125